I decided to try out a new box, the Vegan Cuts Beauty Box, and this month was my first box. I’ve known about this one for a while, so when they ran a 6th birthday special last month, I hopped right on! While I may not be vegan (I still eat meat, but for the most part it’s from local farmers that I know and trust who run smaller scale farms), I do make an effort to buy only cruelty free beauty products and find that vegan products are a little gentler on my skin. May’s box is themed, “Beauty and the Beach,” and features summer go-to beauty products.
- Salis Skincare Blackhead Removal Mask – 2 oz / $14.99 – (Product value $7.50 per product card, possibly 1 oz?) Three simple ingredients create a unique mask that is meant to remove blackheads and make your pores look smaller. You’re supposed to use this as an overnight treatment on problem areas, and the added sulfur means that it will no doubt make a great acne treatment too.
- Little Moon Clear Mind Mist – 2 oz / $6.30 – (Product value $3.15 by volume) The scent contains eucalyptus, grapefruit and rosemary, but I don’t like eucalyptus at all as a scent, so to me, it smells more like Vicks VapoRub and cough drops rather than anything that would make me feel alert and focused. Huge pass for me, but I know I have a friend who will like this. The company does have a “Sleep Comes Easy” mist that’s definitely more my speed though with bergamot, chamomile, lavender and lemon, and “Beach All You Want” is coconut, sandalwood, and tangerine which sounds perfect!
- Nubian Heritage African Black Soap – 5 oz / $4.99 – (Product value $3.49 by volume) This soap came at just the right time! I usually use a charcoal soap on my face and it was just about done for, so this is a welcome replacement. The soap smells delightful, mostly like shea butter I think, and contains oat flour and tea tree oil to help clear up breakouts. My skin is usually dry, but I like a soap like this to give my face a solid clean before applying moisturizers, and the tea tree oil helps keep those occasional breakouts in check.
- Luxie Dreamcatcher Foundation Brush – 1 brush / $20 – (Product card says $20 value, but I can’t find this online) The brush is the #510 foundation brush in the Dreamcatcher color which is this pretty bluish purple. I’ve gotten a couple of Luxie brushes before and love them, so this is another great addition to my brush arsenal!
- Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques Eyeshadow – 1.8 g / $14.50 – (Full size product) I’ve gotten a couple of things from Lauren Brooke before, so I’m happy to see this show up in the box! The color is a really lovely matte dusty rose or orchid kind of color. The formula goes on perfectly matte and smooth, and the color works really well for a light, every day sort of look.
- Pair’d Beauty Dry Shampoo – 2 oz / $6.00 – (Full size product) Okay, I’m not into dry shampoos, but this is a wet, dry shampoo, if that makes sense! It’s a liquid instead of a powder, so there’s no need to brush it into my hair to distribute it, so no ruining my curls. The scent is “Sweet Cali Orange” and contains just four ingredients – water, maize, ethanol, and essential oils. I’m going to have to give this a solid try out as a second-day-hair product. My hair doesn’t ever get greasy (it actually gets drier and drier the longer I go without washing it), so I don’t need the maize to soak up oil, and I’m a little concerned about the ethanol further drying out my hair and making frizzies. So, the jury is out on this one so far. The scent is nice though!
Overall the value of the box comes to $54.64 which is well above the cost of even a month-to-month subscription at $22.95 per month. I did have some trouble finding some of the product values since the product sizes weren’t listed on the products themselves or found discrepancies between the product card and value on the manufacturers’ websites. The only thing that I’m passing on out of this box is the Little Moon mist, but everything else I’ll use or at least give a fair try. The big winners for me are the brush, black soap, and eyeshadow for sure. It’s funny, the box has been sitting at my desk most of this week (it arrived.. Tuesday I think?), and the soap smells SO nice, I almost want to leave it at my desk a little longer! Anyway, this was a great first box from Vegan Cuts, and I’m looking forward to next month!