Posted on 11 February 2017
February’s Kloverbox is here and I’m getting the post up right away! WOOHOO! Clearly, Valentine’s Day factored into this box since it felt a little like a fantastic gift box this month. A candle, earrings, chocolate, and foot oil made for a nice surprise and a change from the usual sort of goods they include. This box always keeps me guessing – you really never know what’s going to show up!
- Cypress Skincare Foot Love – 1 oz / $20 – (Product is full size) Okay, so we already know I don’t particularly like peppermint scented anything, and every foot product ever is peppermint scented, including this one. I gave it a try and while it’s definitely peppermint, it’s not a heavy peppermint and the scent dissipates pretty quickly – I couldn’t even smell it on my hands after a few minutes. Made with loads of healing oils, this makes dry, cracked feet feel softer right away. I put it on right after a shower and then put on hand knit wool socks.
- The Isle Co Soy Lotion Candle – 6 oz / $14.99 – (Product is full size) This scent, “Love Struck,” is on sale on the website this month for $11.25 as the fragrance of the month. The scent is sweet and fruity and reminds me of pomegranate. The idea with the candle is that after the candle burns a little, you blow it out, then you can use the wax (100% soy) as a lotion. I thought it was a little weird, but because it’s pure soy oil, it actually works! It goes on a lot like coconut oil (stays a liquid with the heat of your skin) and doesn’t feel greasy or waxy.
- Wrenn Jewelry Becki Earrings – 1 set / $26 – (Product is full size) The color we received is the, “Rose Druzy,” color, a rose gold color. I’m not too big on gold and I hate pink, so I’m going to pass these on to a friend. I really do love the earring design, I’m just not into the color. Fortunately, there’s a coupon code for 15% off, so I can pick out a set that aren’t pink! I’m really digging the Platinum ones, so those may have to find their way to me.
- Rose & Basil Truffles – 2 truffles / $2.90 – (Product is full size) Well, I know that they’re vegan, but I have no idea what the flavors are! There’s no insert or card to let me know which flavors I got. Browsing the company’s instagram, it looks like the one on the right is Chocolate Pomegranate and the one on the left might be Elderflower? I’m just guessing here. Of course I had to try them out right away. The left one was really floral, maybe even lavender-ish, and the right one was delicious. I think I still prefer regular non-vegan chocolates, but the flavors are such neat mixes. If I happen to be in NYC, I’ll have to stop in!
Overall, the box value came to $63.89 which is well over double the cost of $25 on a month-to-month basis! Even without the earrings, the value still comes out over the cost, plus I get to give something pretty to a friend. I really love how this box goes beyond the traditional beauty box and includes all sorts of cruelty free items – it keeps the box new and interesting.
Posted on 8 February 2017
Another Kloverbox, this one the first of the new year! The product card in the box said that January’s box was, “all about letting go of 2016 and starting 2017 looking and feeling your best!” It definitely seems to focus on dental health, and it’s actually nice to see a grouping of these three products that work well together!
- Natural Annie Essentials Happy Edges – 1 oz / $14 – (Product is full size) This is meant to be used on dry scalp patches, especially around the edges of your hair line. It’s like they knew I needed this! My scalp gets crazy dry during the winter and I’ve tried all manner of remedies to help keep it from turning into a desert. The only thing I’m not sure of is the roller ball applicator – I think I’d have preferred a dropper or something like an eye dropper bottle instead. The roller ball doesn’t seem to roll well around my hair line, so the product doesn’t come out and distribute itself very easily. I do like the light herbal scent, and a scalp oil is right up my alley.
- Balipura Auric Spray – 3.4 oz / $25 – (Product is full size) Okay, so I’m not quite sold on the whole energy field stuff that they mention on the website, but the spray is basically made up of water, alcohol and essential oils (cinnamon bark and pink grapefruit), so it works as a room spray even if I don’t buy into the woo. It smells nice – the cinnamon is earthy and not “hot” like cinnamon scents can get – and I can see using this as a pillow spray before bed sort of like an aromatherapy thing.
- Humble Brush – 1 brush / $5.99 – (Product is full size) It’s a bamboo toothbrush with nylon bristles, and with every purchase, one brush is donated to a child in need. I already gave this a test spin, and it’s just like every other toothbrush I’ve used except it’s biodegradable.
- Eco Dent Gentle Floss – Travel Size / $3.79 – (Product is Travel Size) Vegan dental floss that’s waxed with vegan waxes. It’s a bit smaller than regular floss, so it doesn’t get stuck as much. The packaging is all cardboard, so it’s completely recyclable too.
- Essential Oxygen Brushing Rinse – 4 oz / $5.49 – (Product is 4 oz) I gave this a try, and while I like the idea, I can’t say I’m all that impressed. The taste is terrible, probably from the Peroxide. You’re supposed to swish the rinse first, then brush, then spit, so it’s neat that it’s one product that does two things, but I didn’t feel like it’s something I’d continue using since the taste was really that awful to me. It would make a lot of sense as something to bring camping or where you might not have running water available, but I’ll stick to my regular toothpaste.
Overall, the value of the box comes to $54.27 which is great for a box that costs $25 on a month-to-month basis! I’m not completely sold on the vegan oral care stuff, but they were all fun to try, and it’s always neat to learn about products that might be better than what you’re using now. These didn’t quite do that for me, but they’re all things I may not have had a chance to try otherwise. I do like the Happy Edges the most out of this box, and the Auric Spray I’ll still use as a room spray or pillow spray. Looking forward to February’s box!
Posted on 20 December 2016
Kloverbox is BACK! It was taken over by new ownership a few months ago and has been producing some great boxes, so I decided to sign up again. My first box is the December box and I’m happy to say it’s a good one! I love the bracelet the most because it’s a great way to wear a fragrance without putting it directly on your skin, and the cheek stain smells amazing. On to the contents!
- Timeless Organics Muscle Soak – 3 oz / $6.99 – (Product is full size) I’m not really big on baths, but I like to save stuff like this for vacations, especially ones with those big jacuzzi tubs, so this is coming along with me next month. The soak is basically a salt soak along with lavender, so it’s great for sore, tired muscles. This is showing on sale on the company’s website for $4.99, not full price right now, and there’s also a coupon included for 20% off purchases on the website.
- Drops of Joy Diffuser Bracelent – 1 bracelet / $32.27 – (Product is full size) This is such a neat idea! The beads are lava stone with Amazonite and thanks to the porous nature of lavastone, it makes for a perfect medium to carry your favorite oil and act as a diffuser. The colors are pretty and the idea is so neat, I absolutely love this! Also included is a code for 20% off an order through the Drops of Joy website.
- Yoganics Essential Oil Blend – 5 mL / $15 – (Product is full size) The blend is their, “Holiday Cheer Blend,” and smells like pine and cinnamon. It’s really strong, so a teeny little swipe is enough to give the bracelet a good scent charge. It’s not exactly my favorite sort of scent – I find the cinnamon to be crazy overpowering with not much of the other oils working to balance it out – but they also included a coupon for 15% off a purchase, so I’ll have to check out some of the other oils.
- ra goods Toner – 2 oz / $9.95 – (Product is full size) An alcohol free toner! I love the scent of this. The lemongrass comes out on top, but it’s not overwhelming, just light and fresh. The toner dries matte and doesn’t feel sticky or heavy, and I honestly like it. Also included is a coupon code for 20% off at their website.
- Wild Plants Love You Rosy Cheek Stain – .5 oz / $8 – (Product is full size) This smells SO GOOD. It’s earthy, but then the elderberries and lavender come out and it makes for this sweet herbal scent. I’m not big on blush since my cheeks are always pretty rosy to begin with, but this works just fine on lips too, plus with the jojoba oil, it makes for a great moisturizing balm. The color payoff isn’t huge, it’s pretty subtle, but does build to a pretty rosy glow. Also included is a code for 10% off at their Etsy shop.
The total value of the box comes to $72.21 which is great for a box that costs $25 on a month-to-month basis! The bracelet alone covers the cost, but I do like everything in the box and will use it all. It’s so nice to see this great box revitalized and carrying on with great cruelty free products. Looking forward to next month already!
June’s Kloverbox, and my last from Kloverbox. This one arrived July 2nd, but it’s most definitely the rather late June box. I’m going to admit that I’m not all that impressed with this one, in part due to the company’s lack of presence/activity this month on social media, lack of communication about the lateness, and yet again, no product card in the box. I assume that’s going to be emailed just like last month, which is fine, but I would’ve appreciated a heads up on the delayed delivery and the missing product card before the box shipped. It just all leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so I have no regret over my decision to unsubscribe.
- 180 Snacks Nutty Quinoa Bites – 1 pack / $1.86 – I received the version with Cranberries and rice. It was good, not sure it was almost $2 per pack good, but they were crunchy with a little bit of sweet which was nice.
- Harvey Prince Keravegan Masque – 1 oz / $3 – (Sample size product) This is a big nope. I’m really not into anything Harvey Prince, so to see them two months in a row is a real bummer. Their products are just too heavily perfumed and scented and they never seem to be natural scents that I find pleasing. This is going straight to the trade pile.
- Lillian Eve Matte Top Coat – .5 oz / $12 – (Full Size Product) This is the only thing out of the box that I really like! I already gave it a quick try, and it’s a nice matte coat. Dries pretty quick, and it doesn’t feel super thick like some other matte coats. It probably isn’t what I’d call completely matte, maybe more pearl or semi-matte, but I do like it and will definitely use it.
- Baggu Tote Pack – 1 tote pack / $14 – (Full Size Product) I honestly don’t like the print or the concept/shape and apparently neither did anyone else since this is on sale on the Baggu website for $14 when other prints are priced at $26. I can’t see myself actually using this in public – it’s SUPER bright and it’s just an awful color.. I might use it for carrying stuff when we’re canoeing? Give it to a hunter for high visibility/safety? It doesn’t make for a good backpack since the straps are the closure on the backpack and there’s no way to adjust the straps after closing the pack, and it doesn’t work as a tote bag either since the shape is tapered at the bottom with gussets to work as a backpack. It’s just not my style at all and for being the big ticket item in the box, it’s a big fail for me.
So, the total comes to $30.86 which is really low again for this box that costs between $25 and $22.50 depending on subscription length.. It’s the lowest value yet and again, it’s making me feel rather settled with my decision to cancel. I’m not sure if the owner has something going on or if there are problems with the company, but I’d really appreciate some transparency instead of delivery of really sub-par boxes. They could skip delivery on a month and take the time to regroup and catch up and get back on schedule (their website says they ship between the 15th and 18th of every month, but I’m not sure that’s ever happened during my whole subscription), but at this point, I’m so disappointed that I have no interest in continuing. Best of luck to them though! I hope they work out whatever is going on and come back better than ever.
May’s Kloverbox just came in today, Tuesday May 31st, the very last day of the month. I’m SUPER underwhelmed. Out of four products, I’ll keep and use one, and the box had no product card, so I guess there are no discount codes this month. Kloverbox seems to run hot or cold with little inbetween and this is definitely a “cold” box for me, which given the cycle and since last month’s box was pretty awesome, I guess this is to be expected? I’m just not pleased this month, at all.
- eSCENTials Aroma Don’t Bug Me Insect Repellent – 4 oz / $15 – (Full size product) I gave my clothes a quick spritz to see what it smells like. It mostly smells like citronella which is one of 6 oils in the spray along with lemongrass, lavender, lemon eucalyptus, clove, and peppermint. I’m a HUGE mosquito magnet – when I’m around, no one else gets bitten since I’m the one attracting all the bugs. I don’t have super high hopes of this working that effectively given how strong my natural mosquito attractant is, but if it fends off even a few potential biters, I’m okay with that. Plus, it’s all natural, so it’s not like it can do any harm!
- Zoe Organics Breathe Balm – .6 oz / $14 – (Full size product) I have absolutely no use for this. I’d rather not be able to breathe than smell like eucalyptus – I can’t even stomach those eucalyptus cough drops, my hatred of eucalyptus runs that deep. When I’m sick, there’s no way I want to be around a smell that makes me feel worse, so this is going to the trade/share pile.
- Harvey Prince Hello Shampoo – 15 mL / $3 – (Sample size, sample price) Sixth ingredient in is Acrylates, so this is a nope for me. Oh, sure, it doesn’t contain sulfates or parabens, but acrylates are arguably worse since they’re a plasticizing polymer that will build up in your hair and get sticky. There’s no way at all I’m putting that into my hair. This is going straight to the trade/share pile.
- Harvey Prince Hello Conditioner – 15 mL / $3 – (Sample size, sample price) This is not as bad as the shampoo, but at this point, I’m not trusting Harvey Prince to use good ingredients. Plus, I already have a conditioner I use and love and have no reason to change. Also, the scent is really overpoweringly perfumed, and it’s just too much for me.
So, that’s that! The value of the products comes out to $35 which is SUPER low for a box that costs between $25 and $22.50 depending on subscription length. It just BARELY covered the cost of the box, and for me personally with the one item I’ll keep and use, didn’t even do that. SUPER disappointed this month. I think my current round of my 3 month subscription is due to rebill at the beginning of June for July’s box, and I have to say that I’m seriously considering cancelling after this delivery. When the boxes are hits, they’re big hits and are amazing boxes, but the misses are also really big misses like this and January’s box.
UPDATE, 1 June 2016: I just got an email with a digital version of what should’ve been the product card in the box. The theme was, “Let’s go on an Adventure,” and it lists the Harvey Prince shampoo and conditioner as a “set” which then would make this a three item box? I’ll admit that I like getting this in email instead of wasting paper, but maybe for the first time out, we could’ve had some notice that there would be something new with this box.