The May Kloverbox arrived yesterday! This is my last Kloverbox, and it’s a pretty awesome one. I cancelled my subscription after getting two in a row that weren’t a good fit, but this one is pretty well spot on. The Yarok product is a huge favorite of mine, cuticle cream is always welcome, and the Sari scarf is such a pretty color and pattern! Okay, before I go on too much, let’s get into the details.
- Meadowlark Botanicals Cuticle Cream – 1.5 oz / $7 – (Full size product) This orange-scented cuticle cream is right up my alley. I use stuff like this right before bed usually because my hands end up a dry, parched mess by the end of the day. This smells a lot like a creamsicle, and the consistency is that goldilocks zone of just solid enough, but not too solid that it’s a pain to dig out of the pot. I really like this!
- Yarok Feed Your Ends – 2 oz / $13.20 – (Travel size product) I mentioned it above, but I’ve gotten this in boxes before, but it’s become a regular staple in my curly girl arsenal. No alcohol, parabens, sulfates or silicones, and it smells lightly herbal and lemongrassy. The ingredient list contains a blend of great oils that are perfect for dry ends, and a great second-day-hair treatment to tame down the frizzies. Very happy to see this in this box!
- Ballerina Botanicals Green Beauty Barre – 1 bar / $8.99 – (Product is a sample, value on product card is $4.50, but it looks to be about 1/4th of a bar [no weight listed for the bar on the manufacturer’s website], so it’s probably more like $2.25 by size/weight) If only this didn’t have peppermint oil! My skin seems to be a little sensitive to peppermint oil so this is going to be a pass for me. Peppermint oil can be a skin irritant, so I’m not even going to try this out and risk being itchy. It’s pretty pungent too, and I don’t like the smell of peppermint at all. I’d have much preferred this without the extra scent!
- I Was A Sari Loop Scarf – 1 scarf / $25 – (Full size product) I couldn’t find this on the manufacturer’s website, so I’m just using the value off the product card. What a gorgeous color and print! The fabric feels like a rayon, and it’s got a nice sheen and drape to it. The scarf measures 32″ square when laid flat. The fabric doesn’t show any signs of wear, so if someone did actually wear this fabric as part of a Sari before, it was very lightly or gently worn. I’d love to hear more about the process, where the Saris come from, etc, but there’s no information on the website just yet. Still, the idea of giving jobs to women and reusing fabric definitely appeals to me, and that makes this so much more than just a scarf.
- New Chapter Perfect Hair, Skin, and Nails Supplement – 60 capsules / $34.17 – (Sample is 15 capsules, value of $8.54) This was added in as a free sample along with a coupon code for $3 off a purchase at the manufacturer’s website that apparently, you can’t actually shop through. The site just directs you to local retailers or Amazon, so I’m not sure how a coupon at newchapter.com is worth anything when they don’t even have a way to purchase directly through them. Beyond that, supplements like this have proven to be useless or downright dangerous by actual scientific studies, so these are going straight to the trash. I won’t even put these in the trade box since I feel pretty strongly about how much money people waste buying into the supplement industry every year – an industry that isn’t subject to regulation or testing but is allowed to make wild claims about their ingredients with no scientific proof of those claims. (Of course, I’ll recycle the glass bottle, but the pills? Garbage.)
Overall, the value of the box without the vitamins comes to about $49 depending on how you count the soap. This is a little on the lower end for the box, but not by a whole lot, and considering the box costs $25 on a month-to-month basis, the value of the scarf alone takes care of the cost! I do really love getting the Yarok spray and the cuticle cream though, so I’m pretty well happy with this month overall. I’m glad my subscription is ending on a pretty good note with this box!