Well, I think this is my next to last Goodbeing box. I cancelled my subscription last month when it became clear that the Rafiki bracelets were going to be a staple item in the boxes until.. well who knows. This just isn’t a product I want to see in a subscription box and especially not every month, and I’m really bummed about it because Goodebox had been my favorite subscription box! Since the rebranding and name change, I’m so sad that I can’t say that anymore, so it’s time to move on. That said, this box is one of the better ones of the last three with a good variety of products even if the value may be the lowest one I’ve ever received from Goodbeing/Goodebox. There’s also a cardinal subscription box sin – foil packets – so it’s still not a terrific box, but it’s better than the last two. Anyway, on to the contents!
- Juice Organics Volumizing Shampoo & Conditioner – Set of 2, 10 oz tubes / $24 – (4 foil packet sample sets, total volume of 2.72 oz, value of $3.26 by volume) Arrrghhh foil packets! I can’t recycle these in my town, and would’ve honestly preferred two one-ounce tubes instead of foil packets. I guess it doesn’t matter either way since I won’t be using these. I have SUPER curly hair and the last thing I need is volume! I use products that weigh down my curls and keep them together, so this is the opposite of what I want to see in a shampoo. Oh well, they’ll go in the guest room goodie box.
- MyChelle Sun Shield Clear Stick SPF 50 – .5 oz / $12 – (Full Size Product) PERFECT! Such a great time of year for this to show up, just as I’m getting back out to gardening and all kinds of outdoorsy stuff. Just the right size to stash in my everyday bag or set by the backdoor so I remember to actually put it on before going outside. The ingredient list is a physical blocker (Zinc Oxide) and a bunch of oils and butters, so beyond preventing sunburn, it also moisturizes like crazy to keep your skin hydrated. It’s even waterproof!
- Meow Meow Tweet Tweet Makeup Remover & Cleansing Oil – 1 oz / $8 – (Mini sized product, actual value) A jojoba oil based makeup remover, something just perfect for me. I like using the oil cleansing method to remove makeup when my skin is super dry, and this is a nice mixture. It doesn’t have much of a noticeable scent to it, but that’s okay!
- Han Eyeshadow – 3 g / $13 – (Full Size Product) I received the color, “Chocolate Bronze,” which is a warm brown color with a hint of gold shimmer. Really a lovely color – it’s a basic dark neutral that’s great to have.
- Bonnie Pore Refining Rose Mask – 3 oz / $16 – (Sample is .7 oz, value of $3.73) You can tell there’s a rose scent in there right away, but then something else (willow bark maybe?) sets it off to smelling weirdly medicinal, oh and then the Jasmine (ugh, jasmine, my least favorite scent in the whole entire world). I’d probably like this better without the scent because the weird combination of the florals with whatever else is going on in there is really unpleasant to my nose, and it’s overpowering to keep this on long enough for it to dry. As a mask, it’s got some exfoliating bits in there, so it makes for a nice mask, but I’m almost glad this is such a small sample (maybe enough for two masks total) because I can’t stand the scent. The formula is a little more watery than I’d expect and it comes pre-mixed instead of in powder form. As far as the one I received, I don’t really need pore refining anyway and don’t have that need listed in my preferences – I have to assume that yet again, this was selected because of my age instead of my actual preferences.
- Me to We Rafiki Bracelet – 1 bracelet / $10 (Full Size Product) The one this month was the Education bracelet in a pretty light blue color. Yet again, the cause is a good cause, I just don’t want the bracelet. Give me a card that says, “We donated $10 in your name,” and forget about the bracelet! These just aren’t my style, I don’t like them, and I don’t want them every single month. I want new and exciting things, not the same thing in every color of the rainbow.
Total value for the box this month is $36.99 which is extremely low for this box. Take out the bracelet (which, as they explained on Instagram is, “an added bonus it does not replace any items in the box”) and it’s down to $26.99 which just, and I mean just covers the cost of the box which costs between $19 and $21 depending on the length of your subscription. I actually had to do the numbers twice because the first time, I didn’t even believe the value was that low. Suddenly really glad I cancelled, but I wish I hadn’t sprung for the 6 month subscription in November. Why was this review so late? The box just arrived Wednesday of this week (April 13th). I had a tracking number and everything, but when I saw other people were receiving their boxes already and mine hadn’t moved from the pre-shipping stage, I contacted customer support who, in their defense, did fix it right away. I figure it might have had something to do my cancellation request but still having two remaining boxes on my subscription? I don’t know. Whatever happened, they did make it right, so kudos to their customer service team – I appreciate the quick response! So, that wraps up April’s Goodbeing box – I think I have one more left on that cancelled subscription to go before it’s done.