I’m not sure when May happened, but it did, and so did another Goodebox! This one arrived yesterday, still within the first week of the month. It’s not a box that blows me away, but the variety is great, and there are new products I’ve never heard of before. The face oil I’m most excited about and the other products are things I’ll at least try.
- Seaweed Detox Cellulite Cream – 6 oz / $14.99 – (Sample is 1 oz, value of $2.50) My first impression, upon breaking the safety seal is that this STINKS. It smells medicinal, and almost like Vicks Vaporub. As far as the claims of reducing cellulite, increasing thyroid function, I’m just too skeptical to believe any of that stuff given that you’re putting it on your skin in such small amounts that it’s unlikely to make any difference. Another small gripe is that the bottle is so sturdy that it’s impossible to squeeze the product out – I have to screw off the cap and shake it out into my hand instead. If I use it, it would probably in the evenings when I won’t be carrying the stink of this cream around with me, but I have serious doubts that it will do anythinig to my cellulite. The cream is pretty thick in the bottle, but turns almost to an oil on the skin and sinks in fast, so as a moisturizing cream, it’s great. It just smells so terrible, and I’m not sure I can get past that. I’m also a little concerned because I do have a thyroid issue that involves medication and I don’t want a skin care product to mess up the delicate balance we have going.
- Juice Beauty Blemish Be Gone – .27 oz / $15 – (Product is full size, full value) Really love the fact that it’s a roll-on, but I’m not entirely sold on the ingredients. I don’t get pimples often, but what clears them up best are products containing sulfur. This contains a natural version of salicylic acid (which has never done anything to my pimples) and a bunch of other fruit acids. It’s worth a try since it came in the box, and I’ll be sure to report back about its efficacy! It doesn’t have much of a scent, so that’s a plus.
- Derma-e Evenly Radiant Brightening Day Creme – 2 oz / $29.95 – (Sample is .5 oz, value of $7.50) I had received a batch of Derma-e samples in another Goodebox a while back, but not this one specifically. I love that the sunscreen is a physical block instead of a chemical block, so I’ll definitely be using this over the summer! Again, my skeptical side isn’t exactly buying the whole skin brightening thing, but I dont really have visible discoloration and sun damage for it to improve anyway. Still, as a good daily moisturizer with SPF, it’s worth a try!
- Mullein and Sparrow Cheek & Lip Tint – 1 oz / $22.00 – (Sample is approx .2 oz, value of $4.50) Not too impressed with this. I’ll admit that I’m not a huge fan of lip products that I have to apply with my finger. The tint doesn’t seem to show up at all, and the product is really oily and melts a little too easily. I’d be worried on a hot day that this would melt all over my bag. There’s no discernable scent other than smelling like vegetable oil, and it goes on about the same. I definitely enjoy lip products that are more sticky/thick like a beeswax lip balm and stay in place longer than oily/greasy products. As a cheek product, again, it’s got no discernable tint without heavy application which then makes my cheeks look greasy.
- Meraki Rose Grapefruit Face Oil – 2 oz / $20 – (Sample is 1 oz, value of $10) I tried this out right away because I’ve always been interesting in trying the oil cleansing method, but didn’t want to invest in a larger product without being sure it would work with my skin. This smells SO good, and following the directions on the product card, it definitely felt refreshing and moisturizing. I could even see using a few drops before bed for an extra hydration boost. I’ll have to see how well it removes makeup later and report back!
Update, 12 May 2015 – It worked GREAT as a makeup remover! Much more gentle, removed everything easily, and my skin didn’t feel stripped dry afterwards. This may be my new favorite thing in the world.
Overall the value of this box is $39.50 which is about mid range for the box. I’m REALLY happy with the Meraki oil, and the Derma-e sample will definitely be used up quickly. Even the other products that I wasn’t exactly thrilled with, part of this is finding out what I do and don’t like by sampling products instead of ending up with a drawer full of full-size products that didn’t work out. So, even though sometimes there are things that are misses, boxes like this are a great way to be introduced to new things.